Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Week 9 Lecture 1/2

Well that was quite eccentric.

The idea of a Cyber Utopia is a bit of an oxymoron to me... to define something so chaotic and boundless as a utopia tends to go against what you'd generally believe a utopia to be. How can you even dare to make a claim of a cyber utopia anyway? It's not really something you can justify or bring any evidence to bear that will prove your point. Utopia by definition is a subjective term. Ones man's utopia can be another man's dystopia.

While I realize Jason Nelson's definition of the cyber utopia is that on subjective terms. That we find a part of the internet that defines what we know and love and need in such a 'perfect ideal' society. I can't say I disagree with this definition but it might be giving internet communities too much credit.

I'm not too sure how I feel about Jason's work, while it's clear that he's quite talented and has some crazy ideas, I'm not sure. To be quite honest they appeared to be the deranged ramblings of a mad man but you know how that saying goes, genius, thin line of insanity, etc. I can't help but notice the fact he kept making drug jokes in the lecture and his work reminds me of what I assume to be a bad acid trip. I'm kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment