Wednesday, August 26, 2009

3d worlds being yet another marketting fad

Thanks to world of Warcraft, the idea there there's millions of people with nothing better to do than play that horrible game for at least 30 hours a week, companies want in on this goldmine of advertisement placement.

I'll straight up admit that I have play world of warcraft and more MMO's than I'd like to mention and to realize how awful they really are I suggest stumbling over to the Official Forums of whatever popular MMO you can find. World of Warcraft, Eve Online to name some of the worst. If this doesn't turn you off, well go ahead and play!

But in all seriousness, other than some of the more struggling MMO's (like Sony's Planetside and Anarchy online), in game advertisements don't exist. But there is something that exists simply for advertisement! (And other stuff I'd rather not mention as it'll probably get me kicked out of university!)

That's Second Life, just saying it makes me cringe and feel the need to vomit. Second Life is one of those great human achievements that idea is brilliant and beyond comprehension but when put into practice, is the worst idea ever. Unlike MMO's, Second Life's content is entirely user generated. If you know how to program or 3d model/texture you can probably make something for the game. But instead of having this fun filled adventure for your imagination you get to suffer horrible indignities.

I don't want to get into details because as said earlier its horrible enough so instead I'm giving YOU a choice! "Oh wow me!?" you say? Yes you! I'm going to point you over to Somethingawful.com's Second Life Safari but guess what! By clicking on the link you agree to not blame me for any mental damage or loss of stomach lining you suffer from reading the articles! Ain't that grand? I agree that I hate myself and want to destroy what little innocence I have left

But apart from the horrible things that incur in second life, it's also used as a front for many businesses both online and giant corporations such as Intel. Why they would chose such a smut ridden part of the internet to push their wares? I have no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment